Pauline's Parlour
Pauline's Parlour
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Category
 Recipes and Stuff !
 Coconut pound cake
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MrsGemini

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 25 June 2007 :  4:59:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I hope someone has seen the recipe in the Saturday magazine of the Daily Express? For those who haven't I made this cake yesterday, and wanted to share it with you

225g. self-raising flour; 225g caster sugar
225g butter; 2 large eggs - lightly beaten
115g desiccated coconut A few drops of pink food colouring
For the topping
225g icing sugar; 115g butter
2-3tbsp desicated coconut; 1 glace cherry

Serves 8 Preperation time: 25 minutes Cooking time: 1 hour
Preheat the oven to 180 degreesC/350 degrees F/Gas mark 4
Place all the cake ingredients in a large mixing bowl and, using a wooden spoon, beat thoroughly mixed together.
Pile into a greased and lined 18cm cake tin and bake in the centre of the oven until well risen and firm to touch. A skewer inserted into the centre will come out cleanly when the cake is cooked, which will take about 1 hour.
Turn out carefully onto a wire rack and leave to become cold.
For the topping, cream together the icing sugar and butter until smooth and spread on to the top of the cold cake. Immediately sprinkle the topping with 2 or 3 tbsp of dessicated coconut and finish by placing a cherry in the centre.

I checked the cake after 55 mins. Then cooked again for another 15
mins. The top was really crisp - I didn't put a topping on it - I didn't have chance to!!

F ussy
Baileys Benefactor !

5935 Posts

Posted - 26 June 2007 :  6:40:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mrs Gemini,
WOW!!! That recipe sounds extra good, it's made my mouth water,'cos I love coconut cake, and I haven't had any for many, many years.
I'll get Liz up here later, and I don't think I'll have to coax her to get cracking and use your recipe.
Liz made 48 mince pies, and 24 Pasties yesterday, so that will keep us going for a couple of weeks.

Go to Top of Page

F ussy
Baileys Benefactor !

5935 Posts

Posted - 27 June 2007 :  7:31:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Our shopping list for Tescos on Saturday has just had desiccated coconut added to it, so it looks as if I'm in luck, Mrs Gemini.
Ho! Ho! Ho!
Liz says she's got the other ingredients.

Go to Top of Page

The Gravedigger
Advanced Member

764 Posts

Posted - 28 June 2007 :  6:23:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit The Gravedigger's Homepage  Send The Gravedigger a Yahoo! Message Send The Gravedigger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds delicious Mind you, coconut tends to give me indigestion, but I do like the taste

Go to Top of Page

MrsGemini

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 30 June 2007 :  3:34:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fussy

Our shopping list for Tescos on Saturday has just had desiccated coconut added to it, so it looks as if I'm in luck, Mrs Gemini.
Ho! Ho! Ho!
Liz says she's got the other ingredients.

I must admit Fussy, I was worried as I put all the ingredients in the bowl - and it was really heavy work trying to mix it all with a wooden spoon. When I eventually "flopped" it into the tin, I just hoped for the best. I checked on the cake after 55minutes and the knife that I checked it with was "sticky", so popped it back in the oven, for another 15 minutes. Richard's face was a picture when I brought it out eventually, the top of the cake was crusty - just how Richard likes it!! He couldn't wait to cut it - I didn't have time to ice it!! It went in less than two days!!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pauline's Parlour © Copyright 2002 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2