Pauline's Parlour
Pauline's Parlour
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Category
 History/Genealogy
 Castles of Wales and The Borders.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pauline
Administrator & Miserable Old Fart !

United Kingdom
2968 Posts

Posted - 14 September 2003 :  08:16:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pauline's Homepage Send Pauline a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought some of you might be interested in visiting this website.

Photo.is one of mine by the way-Newport Castle,North Pembrokeshire.

Beacon Girl
A Fiery Female !

4777 Posts

Posted - 14 September 2003 :  11:17:57 AM  Show Profile Send Beacon Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clueless
That is a great site . I was staggered by the number of castles in Wales . I am ashamed to say that I have only visited about a dozen of them in my life ,although I have seen a few more from a distance in passing .
Will have a good look at all the site when I have more time .

Go to Top of Page

Pauline

United Kingdom
2968 Posts

Posted - 14 September 2003 :  5:05:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pauline's Homepage Send Pauline a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I've been to about 34 of those listed over the years, and like you, passed by a few of the others without actually going in.
I must look and see how many of them I've photographed. Some of them have only got about two stones left standing though !

Edited by - Clueless on 14 September 2003 5:08:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Gemini
Intermediate Member

256 Posts

Posted - 14 September 2003 :  11:10:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Gemini a Yahoo! Message Send Gemini a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BB has promised to take me to some of them wehn we get a chance, I have only ever been to Cardiff Castle, and that was age ago, I like castles though, you can lose yourself in history in a place where it can actually be touched, it brings things to life more if you can actually walk round somewhere i think.

Go to Top of Page

Beacon Girl
A Fiery Female !

4777 Posts

Posted - 15 September 2003 :  4:54:13 PM  Show Profile Send Beacon Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder why Wales had so many castles ,far far more than England. Where they always under attack years ago so needed them as fortification , or was it a place with lots of wealthy people? I must admit I do not know much of the history of Wales

Go to Top of Page

Beacon Girl
A Fiery Female !

4777 Posts

Posted - 15 September 2003 :  4:57:19 PM  Show Profile Send Beacon Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OH Heck meant Were not Where. Must get some spelling lessons along with the history lessons .

Go to Top of Page

n/a/1
deleted

2606 Posts

Posted - 15 September 2003 :  10:03:34 PM  Show Profile Send n/a/1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gemini

Next time you are down here get BB to take you to castell Coch it is so pretty. It isnt that old but the interior is a sight to be seen.

So pretty.Quite fairy tale really.

Go to Top of Page

Pauline

United Kingdom
2968 Posts

Posted - 16 September 2003 :  07:03:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pauline's Homepage Send Pauline a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as you can see, I have new moved the link to my new Links section at the bottom of the main page ! Also added a couple more links to sites that I thought you might like to look at.
I was going to mention Castell Coch, but I see ML beat me to it ! Gorgeous little 'Fantasy' Castle, built by William Burgess for the Marquis of Bute in the 1800's ( but the foundations on which it was built date back to several hundred years earlier )
There is a legend that says there is a secret Treasure trove buried on the site, guarded by a malevolent Dwarf and some Ravens !
Alan Ladd starred in a film called 'The Black Knight' which was partially filmed here in 1954. It's also featured in other films and a children's TV Series which I THINK was called 'The Worse Witch'.
If you want to see a genuinely old Castle go to Caerphilly. It's the second largest Castle in Europe after Windsor. I'll try and stick some photos of them up on my website one of these days.

Go to Top of Page

BigBrother
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
531 Posts

Posted - 16 September 2003 :  6:25:52 PM  Show Profile  Send BigBrother a Yahoo! Message Send BigBrother a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SSShhhusshhh!!!! ML, dont mention Castell Coch. Since I've shown Gemini a pic of it she has fallen in love with it and thats where she wants to get married.

Oh dear, she even phoned them up and asked for a wedding information pack which arrived 2 days ago..!!!

I'm off to the Antartic.........

Go to Top of Page

Gemini
Intermediate Member

256 Posts

Posted - 16 September 2003 :  6:31:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Gemini a Yahoo! Message Send Gemini a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you suggested it......

Go to Top of Page

BigBrother
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
531 Posts

Posted - 16 September 2003 :  6:43:55 PM  Show Profile  Send BigBrother a Yahoo! Message Send BigBrother a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ML, I'm in deep 'Doo Da' now. Just had an email from Gemini and she's on her way home from work...that gives me about 10 minutes to live.....

But Castell Coch is very nice and suits our needs perfectly.

Go to Top of Page

Beacon Girl
A Fiery Female !

4777 Posts

Posted - 16 September 2003 :  6:44:05 PM  Show Profile Send Beacon Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BB
You must give in to Gemini on this , It is an ideal setting for a wedding beautiful place,you could dress in the clothes of the period as well .It would be the perfect wedding .

Go to Top of Page

BigBrother
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
531 Posts

Posted - 16 September 2003 :  6:47:32 PM  Show Profile  Send BigBrother a Yahoo! Message Send BigBrother a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In all seriousness BG, it looks amazing. I went when I was a small child but cant remember much. But I have promised to take Gemini twice. 1) Next time we are home and 2) in 2005

The only prob is they will only allow 30 people. This 30 must include Bride n Groom, whoever takes the service and photographer(s) and guests etc. Good on one hand and not so good on the other.

Go to Top of Page

Gemini
Intermediate Member

256 Posts

Posted - 16 September 2003 :  6:58:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Gemini a Yahoo! Message Send Gemini a Private Message  Reply with Quote
back-pedalling at a rate of knots now!

Go to Top of Page

Beacon Girl
A Fiery Female !

4777 Posts

Posted - 16 September 2003 :  6:59:49 PM  Show Profile Send Beacon Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well you could do like a lot of couples do these days have the wedding there for the close family, then have a big get together with a disco in the evening somewhere else for the rest of your family and friends .
You had better start saving like mad it's going to cost a pretty penny .

Go to Top of Page

BigBrother
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
531 Posts

Posted - 16 September 2003 :  7:07:03 PM  Show Profile  Send BigBrother a Yahoo! Message Send BigBrother a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BG, I'm a traditionalist so Gemini's old man will be paying, lol.

I dont think he would mind as she is his only Daughter. In fact she is the only Granchild and only great Granchild.

And to make things interesting I'm an only child.....so no uncles or aunties for any potential offspring.

Go to Top of Page

Beacon Girl
A Fiery Female !

4777 Posts

Posted - 16 September 2003 :  8:26:38 PM  Show Profile Send Beacon Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well if you like a few of us off here will come to make up the numbers . LOL

BTW the tradition now is for the couple getting married to share the expense of it all. Now you being a modern up to date man will go for that won't you .

Go to Top of Page

Gemini
Intermediate Member

256 Posts

Posted - 17 September 2003 :  11:04:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Gemini a Yahoo! Message Send Gemini a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well BG, my dad did want an oak floor for the house, but I think once I mention the whole Castell idea to my mum, he may be overruled!!! fingers crossed eh! the cost of the room at Castell Coch is actually not bad, I think it's the other bits that add up, like the reception & stuff, but I'm happy to keep it small!

Go to Top of Page

Beacon Girl
A Fiery Female !

4777 Posts

Posted - 17 September 2003 :  11:46:44 AM  Show Profile Send Beacon Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
gemini
I'm sure your Mum will talk him round .Us women have a knack of getting our own way ,it's called friendly persuation .LOL .

Your Dad can always buy a tin of oak varnish and just stain the floor with that ,won't cost much .

Go to Top of Page

Gemini
Intermediate Member

256 Posts

Posted - 17 September 2003 :  12:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Gemini a Yahoo! Message Send Gemini a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well, i'll keep you posted!! it's a way off yet though, so anything might happen!

Go to Top of Page

BigBrother
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
531 Posts

Posted - 17 September 2003 :  2:01:54 PM  Show Profile  Send BigBrother a Yahoo! Message Send BigBrother a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gem, am I invited?

Go to Top of Page

Gemini
Intermediate Member

256 Posts

Posted - 17 September 2003 :  6:12:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Gemini a Yahoo! Message Send Gemini a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well that depends on if you are in the Antarctic really.......

Go to Top of Page

Beacon Girl
A Fiery Female !

4777 Posts

Posted - 18 September 2003 :  12:54:34 PM  Show Profile Send Beacon Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gemini
Why don't you try and get BB to bring you to the get together on the 27th Sept, then on the Sunday he could take you to Castell Coch, you have to see it before you book it.

That is of course if he has returned from the Antarctic .LOL

Go to Top of Page

Gemini
Intermediate Member

256 Posts

Posted - 19 September 2003 :  08:28:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Gemini a Yahoo! Message Send Gemini a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure we can make it due to work stuff, but he has said he'll take me to show me Castell Coch, Cardiff Castle, Caerphilly Castle & Raglan Castle..... I like Castles!!

Go to Top of Page

n/a/1
deleted

2606 Posts

Posted - 19 September 2003 :  11:59:27 AM  Show Profile Send n/a/1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gosh what have I started?

I only said Castell Coch was a fairy tale castle and then....

Wedding plans eh?!!!!

Just to add fuel to the flames... they also do weddings in Cardiff Castle and Cyfartha Castle too.

Go to Top of Page

Gemini
Intermediate Member

256 Posts

Posted - 20 September 2003 :  3:04:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Gemini a Yahoo! Message Send Gemini a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Castell Coch the most I think, it'll give me an excuse to have a celtic/medieval dress!! But BB has to ask me officially yet, so it's a little way off!

Go to Top of Page

BigBrother
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
531 Posts

Posted - 20 September 2003 :  5:48:32 PM  Show Profile  Send BigBrother a Yahoo! Message Send BigBrother a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gemini:

I like Castell Coch the most I think, it'll give me an excuse to have a celtic/medieval dress!! But BB has to ask me officially yet, so it's a little way off!

Gemini, will you....um.....uh...will you...um...uh...will you....you know....will you.......

Go to Top of Page

Gemini
Intermediate Member

256 Posts

Posted - 20 September 2003 :  6:13:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Gemini a Yahoo! Message Send Gemini a Private Message  Reply with Quote
nearly there, so nearly!!! i can wait BB is worth the wait (as a couple of you who have seen his real piccies know!)

Go to Top of Page

Beacon Girl
A Fiery Female !

4777 Posts

Posted - 20 September 2003 :  7:06:48 PM  Show Profile Send Beacon Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep Gemini he is worth the wait

You make sure he does it properly down on one knee and all that ,wish I could be there to see it .
Tell him too he has to ask your father for your hand in marriage ,and prove he can keep you in the custom you have been accustomed to .

Go to Top of Page

BigBrother
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
531 Posts

Posted - 20 September 2003 :  7:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Send BigBrother a Yahoo! Message Send BigBrother a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beacon Girl:

Yep Gemini he is worth the wait

You make sure he does it properly down on one knee and all that ,wish I could be there to see it .
Tell him too he has to ask your father for your hand in marriage ,and prove he can keep you in the custom you have been accustomed to .

Hey BG, I bought her a Pizza once.

Go to Top of Page

n/a/1
deleted

2606 Posts

Posted - 21 September 2003 :  02:05:52 AM  Show Profile Send n/a/1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BB you make sure you DO IT PROPERLY!!!!

Or we shall send Fussy round with the rest of the Mag 7 to sort you out!

Roses, champagne and down on one knee ok?

Gemini - you tell me if he doesnt!

Give us oldies some romance you 2!!!

Go to Top of Page

BigBrother
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
531 Posts

Posted - 21 September 2003 :  07:28:12 AM  Show Profile  Send BigBrother a Yahoo! Message Send BigBrother a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ML, I'm not sure she really wants me.....after

1) Smashing the Glass on the Cooker the other day
2) Getting her dogs covered in Pink paint. One had a pink snout and had pink sh*t for two days (gods truth)
3) Smashed another pint glass yesterday.
4) And I'm grumpy in the mornings.

Go to Top of Page

Beacon Girl
A Fiery Female !

4777 Posts

Posted - 21 September 2003 :  10:16:35 AM  Show Profile Send Beacon Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blinking Heck you are accident prone aren't you .
But I'm sure Gemini really wants you ,so you must be getting something right .
I believe most people are grumpy in the morning we both are in this house , we don't say much to each other till about ten .

Go to Top of Page

Gemini
Intermediate Member

256 Posts

Posted - 21 September 2003 :  11:17:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Gemini a Yahoo! Message Send Gemini a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BG, he knows that he's all I want! And as for being accident prone, I broke the washing up bowl today, so I have to go get a new one Oh well! The pink looked quite good on the dog actually....

Go to Top of Page

murtle
Intermediate Member

285 Posts

Posted - 21 September 2003 :  6:35:37 PM  Show Profile Send murtle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
come on Big Brother you know you want to,show us oldies that romance is alive and kicking. As for Castle Coch there is no where else that is more romantic, go for it.

murtle thomas
Go to Top of Page

BigBrother
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
531 Posts

Posted - 21 September 2003 :  8:44:06 PM  Show Profile  Send BigBrother a Yahoo! Message Send BigBrother a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey am I going to get lynched here...?

I'm more of a 'Millenium Man' than a 'Traditionalist' I was thinking of a more modern way.......like via a text message or email....you know, something to fit the times.

Go to Top of Page

Beacon Girl
A Fiery Female !

4777 Posts

Posted - 21 September 2003 :  9:31:53 PM  Show Profile Send Beacon Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OH NO!!!
If I were Gemini going by what you just explained on the other thread about not signing in I'd be afraid you would press all the wrong buttons or keys if you did it by Text or E.Mail ,and you may end up divorced as soon as your married . Just joking I expect you are a whizz on the computer.

I know you will do the right thing by doing it the traditional way and give Gemini and yourself a day to remember .

Go to Top of Page

F ussy
Baileys Benefactor !

5935 Posts

Posted - 21 September 2003 :  9:33:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Gemini,
Can I be a page-boy?
I've got a nice velvet jacket,...I only need to get silk pantaloons and some shiny slippers with a buckle,....and a three-cornered hat.
Ho! Ho! Ho! I could make your day!!!

Go to Top of Page

n/a/1
deleted

2606 Posts

Posted - 22 September 2003 :  01:01:30 AM  Show Profile Send n/a/1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fussy I am stunned! LOL! Pantaloons?

Come on BB and Gemini you are made for each other!

My Hubby is accident prone and a real miserable old git in the mornings and so am I.We have survived ( only just LOL)

So come on BB......

...we are waiting!!!!!!

Dont be shy - get and order the champers and the roses and the rest as they say will be history!

BTW if you want a bridesmaid with a difference you know where I am LOL!

Go to Top of Page

Gemini
Intermediate Member

256 Posts

Posted - 22 September 2003 :  07:53:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Gemini a Yahoo! Message Send Gemini a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Fussy & ML for your kind offers, but i'm afrai if we do 'do it' as it where at Castell Coch we are limited to only 30 people (including ourselves!) Maybe you can come to the evening do.... Fussy I'll only invite you if you wear your pageboy outfit & ML in the best tradition you have to wear an unflattering peach polyester number that looks like it should be covering a loo roll!!

Go to Top of Page

n/a/1
deleted

2606 Posts

Posted - 22 September 2003 :  10:10:27 AM  Show Profile Send n/a/1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gee thanks Gemini...peach really isnt my colour either!

I am still laughing at the thought of Fussy ( or anyone else for that matter) in silk pantaloons!

Go to Top of Page

Gemini
Intermediate Member

256 Posts

Posted - 22 September 2003 :  12:14:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Gemini a Yahoo! Message Send Gemini a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ML, thats the whole point - peach is no-ones colour!!! maybe lime green instead?

Go to Top of Page

n/a/1
deleted

2606 Posts

Posted - 22 September 2003 :  12:24:18 PM  Show Profile Send n/a/1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Shocking pink?

Arrrggghhh...............

Go to Top of Page

Gemini
Intermediate Member

256 Posts

Posted - 23 September 2003 :  6:43:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Gemini a Yahoo! Message Send Gemini a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ML, here you go, this is what you'll be wearing.....
You must be logged in to see this link.

Go to Top of Page

n/a/1
deleted

2606 Posts

Posted - 23 September 2003 :  8:37:35 PM  Show Profile Send n/a/1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh how absolutely stunning Gemini!

Thank you!

( Shhhh! Where's the bucket......)

Go to Top of Page

BigBrother
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
531 Posts

Posted - 23 September 2003 :  10:30:46 PM  Show Profile  Send BigBrother a Yahoo! Message Send BigBrother a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With all this commotion maybe no-one will notice I'm not there....

Go to Top of Page

Beacon Girl
A Fiery Female !

4777 Posts

Posted - 23 September 2003 :  11:34:32 PM  Show Profile Send Beacon Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BB
You are so wicked teasing Gemini all the time ,I don't know how she puts up with you .

You had better be there or else .

Go to Top of Page

Gemini
Intermediate Member

256 Posts

Posted - 24 September 2003 :  08:13:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Gemini a Yahoo! Message Send Gemini a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

BigBrother
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
531 Posts

Posted - 25 September 2003 :  8:24:17 PM  Show Profile  Send BigBrother a Yahoo! Message Send BigBrother a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont know how she puts up with me to be honest.....

1. Smashing the glass of the front of the cooker in her nice new IKEA kitchen. (You will all be pleased to know the spare part arrived this morning and we have just managed to replace it!!!

2. Leaving pink paint outside for one of her dogs to eat/drink...only to have pink sh*t for 2 days.

3. I also flooded the nice new IKEA kitchen by leaving some clothing hanging out of the washing machine, closing the door and starting the washing.

4. And I also snore very loudly.

There are nice and good things I do, but I just cant seem to think of any right now.

Go to Top of Page

n/a/1
deleted

2606 Posts

Posted - 25 September 2003 :  8:26:14 PM  Show Profile Send n/a/1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey BB that sounds like you are a dream to put up with to me.

You could be a whole lot worse you know!

BTW doesnt Gemini look gorgeous in her new makeover?

Go to Top of Page

Gemini
Intermediate Member

256 Posts

Posted - 26 September 2003 :  12:00:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Gemini a Yahoo! Message Send Gemini a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If only my real wings where that shimmery!!

Go to Top of Page

Gemini
Intermediate Member

256 Posts

Posted - 26 September 2003 :  12:00:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Gemini a Yahoo! Message Send Gemini a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If only my real wings where that shimmery!!

Go to Top of Page

Beacon Girl
A Fiery Female !

4777 Posts

Posted - 26 September 2003 :  12:22:20 PM  Show Profile Send Beacon Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is a real nice new picture Gemini.
I'm sure BB thinks you Shimmer and shine and that's all that matters .

Go to Top of Page

crazynance
Advanced Member

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 05 October 2003 :  01:44:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit crazynance's Homepage Send crazynance a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are "girls" in fancy dress on my web site You must be logged in to see this link. if you like red.. heehee ... right Clueless? ;)
(look under "other photographs)

Nan
Go to Top of Page

crazynance
Advanced Member

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 05 October 2003 :  01:46:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit crazynance's Homepage Send crazynance a Private Message  Reply with Quote
btw, i have seen Powys and Cardiff Castles and Tintern Abbey. But the master bedroom in Cardiff castle takes the cake... oh hubby! can we redecorate?????

Nan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pauline's Parlour © Copyright 2002 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2